My recollection is that the original Apple kit was $3000.

My Apple IIe with version a motherboard was a real deal at $1700 with a new Epson FX80 printer. Still have it. It paid for itself in the first year printing labels. I can't remember what the IIGS GS cost, but I bought the color monitor later for $500 on sale...Used the IIe drives, then eventually was able to get a 3.5 drive. I used it until 1994, when I made a leap to OS7.

The ticket for my Powerbook 165 was over $2000, and it was a return of some form.

I read recently that the original laserwriter was $5500.

When I was doing research in 1998, the lab had a Mac IIfx, with maxed out memory and a full stack of cards in it. I'd guess that was $15,000 worth of hardware when new. Out of my price range...But the taxpayers have plennybucks.

Prices were crazy.  My first SE sold here for $5500.  $7500 if you sprung
for the SE30!  Still have it, and it works as well as day one.  All my old
Macs work fine, they just became outdated.  Bought a wide carriage coloured
ribbon printer, 3 months old at the time, for $1000.  Got a real deal on
it, new it was $3000. lol.  I remember the Mac llfx, with a couple of
options, was a $10,000 machine.  I think the Apple monitor I have with my
old Mac ll machines used Sony Trinatron tubes.  Great picture quality. If
you looked really close, I think the 14 inch and under had a very fine line
across the screen.  If it was larger than 14, it had two horizontal lines.
Ah, the good old days.

Everything now seems like a bargain, even Apples!  ;-)

Ed
300E