the current 'Wings might have Reverse, but the ones in the original posters price range won't. early 'wings were relative lightweights compared to the current models. as seems so common, they've gained weight and acquired a taste for luxury as they've progressed.

i had a nice early 1000cc 'wing many years ago. was a great bike for what it is, but bored me to tears. bought a BMW GS, and never looked back; sorta' a combination of all the things i was looking for in a motorcycle, with a seating position that i like. while not the best at anything, probably the best choice if you want to do some of everything.

early Airheads might have been relatively trouble-free compared to other bikes at the time, but they wouldn't necessarily be so by today's standards (all too often, neither would the Oilheads!), but they are infinitely simpler to work on. much like our MBZs, with minimal attention, the earlier stuff can be maintained almost indefinitely.

cheers!