Ahh the "good old days"

-Curt

    On Thursday, June 7, 2018, 2:55:07 PM EDT, Meade Dillon via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 When I was young and living in WI, I was told two stories that I'll never
forget.

One of my grade school teachers, a WI native, who had been a medic /
ambulance driver in the Korean war, was touring around the country at one
point (I think in late 50's or early 60's) in an old decrepit Ford coupe.
Not a big guy but very muscular, when he wasn't teaching he was farming and
logging.  He stopped in some small town in the south, either asking for
directions or had some car trouble or something.  Tried to talk to some guy
on the street for help, the response was something along the lines of "Boy,
you aren't from around here, are you?  You best just keep on moving, we
don't need your type around here!".  Some type of threat followed, so he
"kept on moving".

Different guy also from WI, was alone in some big southern town, visiting
or looking for work or something, found himself in the wrong neighborhood
and was getting the stink-eye from the locals.  He tried to be a tough guy
and stand his ground, pretty soon a group of black men was chasing him down
the street and he was running for his life.  Just when he thought he'd
outrun the bad guys, he came upon a group of white guys, so he runs up to
them to ask for help and they promptly started beating him up.  He's saying
"wait wait, I'm one of you!" to which one replied "No, you're not from
around here, you're NOT one of us".