Remember the swine flu mania?

   The swine flu was a serious enough outbreak for President Barack
   Obama to declare a public health emergency in late April 2009. The
   WHO declared it a pandemic in early July – at which time 18,000
   Americans had contracted novel flu virus and 44 had died. And unlike
   coronavirus, the swine flu was more deadly to younger people. Obama
   declared a national emergency when the virus reemerged with a
   vengeance in the fall.

   Yet the press barely covered any of these events.

   When the WHO declared the swine flu “unstoppable” on June 11, 2009,
   CNN didn’t even lead with that story on its homepage. It was in a
   pile of links on the side of the page.

   A week later, there was /no mention of the swine flu anywhere on
   CNN’s home page/.

--FT