Allen S. Wrote:

"It's also been said (though less often) that this is a myth and any

trip odometer breakage resulting from a reset-while-driving is just

cooincidence.  I err on the side of caution and only reset mine

while I'm stopped."

That is a good observation.  I had a 1982 280E and the Odometer stopped
working one time when I reset the trip meter. It would click off tenths
of a mile, then when it got to .9 it would make the ODOMETER stop. I
drove around like that for a week.  I got gas and was messing with the
trip meter while going down the highway. If I held the trip meter down
half way (without resetting it) the odometer worked. As soon as I
stopped, I reset the trip meter and the Odometer started working again.
I never pushed the trip meter again unless completely stopped and the
odometer keep working without any problems.

Donald H. Snook

1990 300 SEL 138K (For Sale)