I finally found out what the problem was! Last month I posted a
smoking/idling problem my 87 300D Turbo had. I removed the fuel injection
pump and it has a hole in the side of the pump the size of a quarter and
another hole the size of a 'bb' on the lower right side (against the
engine). When I tilted the pump a few ball bearing rolled out of the hole. I
am suprized because my car only has 220,000 miles on it. Within a week or so
I hope to have my parts and a few specialty tools for installation. I'm sure
I'll be asking additional questions as I get it all back together. Thank you

Ken