Tom Hargrave wrote:
> You are filtering out dirt that can cause excess bearing wear but there
> are other causes for wear.
>
> Most of what wears from the engine passes right through the filter &
> stays suspended in the oil, as it should.
>
> Tom
> www.kegkits.com

The filter doesn't remove small particulate (like soot). It remains
suspended in the oil. It's because of this small stuff that the oil in
your Mercedes needs to be changed every 5-10kmi. If you filtered the
small stuff, the oil could last for 50-100kmi. But you'd be changing
filters every 2.5kmi or so (the way a Mercedes is designed) and adding a
qt of oil with each change.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.