No, contact patch is pretty much normal as far as I can tell -- no
abnormal wear in 10000 miles, good traction, etc.  Max inflation
pressure is 51 psi.

My brother though the tires on his car were low -- but they were 32
psi, just like the label says.  However, they are 46 psi max
inflation tires, and were running on the sidewalls until he raised
the pressure to 40 psi. I think the sidewalls on the high pressure
tires are softer.

You get lowered rolling resistance and a little bit harder ride, no
other differences.  The Sumitomo tires aren't great on ice (a real
problem with a diesel) and one was falling apart (bad puncture
repair), but otherwise they are fine.

Peter