>OK, a question...
>I'm working on using this whole idea of downloading stacks from a web server
>over the Internet, using my own school's web site.  I placed a stack on our
>server and was easily able to access and open it from within MetaCard from
>home via the Internet.  Cool stuff!  Now I see why everyone is so pumped
>about this.  But...
>
>Tonight I tried to access "help.metacard.com" from the help menu from within
>MetaCard.  I selected it, my Mac launched Remote Access, I went online...
>and my whole machine totally froze up.  I couldn't even force-quit.  This is
>on a PowerBook G3 (333 MHz, 64 MB RAM).  I tried a few times, each time with
>the same result... a hosed computer.  After about my 5th reboot, I launched
>my browser and tried to go to the MetaCard web site.  No luck.  I was able
>to visit my other fave sites, but the MetaCard site appeared to be down.
>
>Thinking that somehow my experiments had hosed up my copy of MetaCard, I
>went to my trusty old UMAX C500 603e Mac clone.  Different computer,
>different modem, different copy of MetaCard.  Same results... my Mac froze
>up.
>
>Does this mean that if you try to get a stack from a site that your computer
>can't find, MetaCard will hose your machine?  I can test the theory at work
>tomorrow by taking our server down and trying to access it from within
>MetaCard, but the fact remains that tonight I tried on two different Macs
>with two different modems to access "help.metacard.com" from within
>MetaCard, and despite several tries on both machines, they both got hosed.
>
>If there's some scripting that can prevent this, can someone share it?  And
>can it be added to MetaCard?  I used "help.metacard.com" the other night
>just fine.  Yet tonight, two different Macs got hosed.  Do I just have bad
>karma, or is this a real problem?
>
>:(
>Richard MacLemale
>coolclassroom.com

Incredible adventures you have with MC ;-) but don't despair, something
similar happened to me a while ago.
Metacard site is up and running just fine.
I can't explain the source of problem but it seemed to me to be some
corruption of the PRAM. The only way I cured it was to remove the battery
from the computer for about half hour 45 minutes in order to restore the
PRAM. Other means of restoring the PRAM don't do it. You need to reset
stuff like date and time and other settings afterwards but that might fix
it.

Regards, Andu