--- On Thu, 4/14/11, Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_w...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Sorta like what you would say to a five-year-old.
> Always a good idea to talk to reporters like they
> were five-year-olds. Don't try to make them
> handle too much.

Actually this is true, but not just for the reporters. but the intended
audience too.

I've often been asked during various interviews seemingly simple questions
about complex issues. Of course the answer has to be precise, involved and
extended, to answer correctly, but they want a soundbite that has some punch to
it. Something I'm loath to do. Even explanations I've felt are too simple are
often too detailed and involved for the reporter or producer.

A friend who is a local TV new personality once told me that they aim at the
typical American 8 to 10 year old's education and vocabulary. I've found that
when speaking with the general media, this is unfortunately just about right on
target.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography