Thanx for your help guys.

I re-untared midgard-php to re-start from something clean, configured with
--with-apxs and it worked straight out of the box.
I don't understand why configure doesn't send an error back when I configure
php without apxs ... anyway, it was my fault, i should have followed the
readme more seriously.

thanx again

thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]