> Hey there!

Greetings

> I have come up with my question for the midweek......but I have no list to
> ask so I thought I would see if you had a quick answer...if not I can wait
> until the list comes back

Well, I received this mail, so maybe the list is back ?

> I am trying figure out how to do this: I have a parent topic with child
> topics each with articles...I want to be able to to list the topics but
>  also the child articles after their topic......
>
> topic1
> (topic description...maybe)
> topic1article1
> topic1article2
> topic1article3
> topic1article4
>
> topic2
> topic2article1
> topic2article2
> topic2article3

if($topic=mgd_list_topics($parent_topic_id))
  while($topic->fetch())
  {
    echo $topic->name."<br>";
    if($article=mgd_list_topic_articles($topic->id))
      while($article->fetch())
      {
        echo $topic->name." - ".$article->name;
      }
    echo "<br>";
  }

That's it !

If you want to display recursively an entire topic tree, use a recursive
function which display the topic->name and all its articles, and that call
itself with the subtopic->id.

> .....I have been trying to think of loops with child loops and things like
> that but since  mgd_list_topics seems to  return an array I am not sure
how
> to break into that structure....

mgd_list_topics doesn't return an array, but an object with the fetch()
function embedded into it. That function allows you to get all the records
one by one in a while loop.

> it definately doesn't seem that a simple
> call is going to do it, but it also seems that there are places in the
> admin site where there are similar ideas....like the little drop menus in
> the topic admin....
> I thought about getting the number of the first child topic, listing it,
> getting the child articles and then adding one to the number of the gotten
> article....but that supposes that the topics are sequentially numbered, if
> someone adds a topic later they won't be.....

the database ids ARE NOT sequencial, so the only way is to use the fetch()
function.

> kp

regards,

[EMAIL PROTECTED]