"the FAQ suggests as per your error description that apxs is broken.
Check out
http://www.progressive-comp.com/Lists/?l=midgard&m=93318132520686&w=2
but this is in fact an apache problem."

As suggested in this mail I edited apxs. Now apxs has following lines (apxs
in the directories /usr/local/sbin and /usr/local/apache/bin is the same):

my $CFG_CFLAGS_SHLIB = q( -fpic -DSHARED_MODULE);
my $CFG_LD_SHLIB = q(ld)
my $CFG_LDFLAGS_SHLIB = q( -Bshareable)

Now the error message is:

/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs -c  -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib
-lmidgard m
od_midgard.c
syntax error at /usr/local/apache/bin/apxs line 79, near "my "
Global symbol "$CFG_LDFLAGS_SHLIB" requires explicit package name at
/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs line 79.
Execution of /usr/local/apache/bin/apxs aborted due to compilation errors.
make: *** [mod_midgard.so] Error 255