On 2/17/2010 3:59 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:

The RFC defines a gateway as this:

    A "gateway" SMTP system (usually referred to just as a "gateway")
    receives mail from a client system in one transport environment and
    transmits it to a server system in another transport environment.

Unfortunately, a "transport environment" is not defined by the RFC.

I consider submission via HTTP to be sending mail over a transport
environment.  I think it's a reasonable interpretation, but alas... the
RFC doesn't say.

We are obviously not going to agree here but a few more data points: using the OWA interface (outlook web access) to an exchange server does not add a Received: header for the browser client IP. Likewise when sending from outlook 2003 or 2007 (much more believable as mail clients) through exchange, the first Received: header is the server's.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikes...@gmail.com