Chet Ramey dixit:

>by backslashes in backquote-style command substitution, but the historical
>Bourne shell and ksh88 both escape them and print '<Reader>' when
>presented with Thorsten's example.

As do all other shells I tried (several pdksh and ash variants, all
shells in Debian, and Solaris 8 /bin/ksh, /bin/sh, /usr/xpg4/bin/sh)
*except* various pdksh derivates in POSIX mode and, interestingly
enough, yash.

Now yash is a from-scratch shell supposedly a proper superset of
POSIX, so at least some others would have read the standard the
same way I do.

On the other hand, it’s probably *safer* to ignore that and require
'<Reader>' to be the (only?) correct output and, if necessary, fix
the standard, considering the above and that it breaks real-life code
and that the standard supposedly grew from Bourne and ksh88. Now, I
can’t change the standard, just my shell, but in some cases I thought
it to be better to ask around before doing something by myself.

So, what do we do now – do I need to open a ticket on the web thingy
to ask for an official interpretation which of the values is correct
or permitted or preferred or whatever, or is this enough?

By the way, I find the posts by Shware Systems illegible, am I the
only one? Sorry, I really can’t make heads nor tails out of them…

bye,
//mirabilos
--
> Wish I had pine to hand :-( I'll give lynx a try, thanks.

Michael Schmitz on nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.ports.68k
a.k.a. {news.gmane.org/nntp}#news.gmane.linux.debian.ports.68k in pine