Thanx a log for your replies :)

I was also using the wrong command for the EXISTING user katia:
pico@hive:~$ sudo useradd -G guest katia
useradd: already a `katia' user

Now:
pico@hive:~$ sudo usermod -G guest katia
pico@hive:~$ groupinfo guest
name    guest
passwd  *
gid     31
members root katia

So user 'katia' was in primary and now is in secondary too!
I can't say I understand the use of primary and secondary.

I remember when I created user 'user' with useradd and entered 'wheel'
when prompted for the login group,
I didn't gain any sudo powers. (primary)
It was only untill I did: usermod -G wheel user that I gained sudo
powers (sencondary as I understand it).

Mike