Before anyone reads further down .. I wish to invoke one of the points
on the mailing list page:

"Respect differences in opinion and philosophy

Intelligent people may look at the same set of facts and come to very
different conclusions. Repeating the same points that didn't convince
someone previously rarely changes their mind and irritates all the other
Readers"

The following is simply my opinion - and I have taken some pains to
make sure it doesn't directly attack anyone in particular.

On to the post..

Well.. Since I have people in a rile anyway, I've come to the conclusion
there is something else I'd like to say - some of you will probably agree
with me, some of you will probably curse at me .. But as someone else said,
I'll find some humor in that. So.. I'm going to get straight to the point..
and if it offends some people, particularly devs  - hey .. You do a wonderful
job at coding, but I think the below needs to be said. I could of course go
hide behind another address, or something - but hey, if you want to kick me
off
the list or whatever.. Do what you need to.

On to the point:

- We are all in agreement, I think - that OpenBSD is absolutely kick ass
software. It is very well maintained, in my opinion, very stable, and
secure.

- That also being said, as Darren pointed out below, we have a group of
people on this list, in particular the devs (but others too I am sure)
that have some serious UNIX skills. I personally, came from the Linux & Cisco
world primarily, but Unix has its strengths too. (Linux is more.. tolerant
of users errors). Everyone suffers from 'guruness' to a point, and gets
intolerant of the same old question. I think it is safe to say, most
folks around these lists have their own specific IT specialty, and
have dealt with the frustrating repetitive annoyances that can come
with user support. (No.. That CD-ROM tray is NOT a coffee cup holder..:)

What I believe, is that OpenBSD has the ability, with the features it is
concentrated around, specifically in the areas of IP redundancy, routing,
and firewalling - to take a very big chunk out of Cisco, Juniper, etc. If
it was properly put forward - it would be a huge victory for the Open Source
movement, UNIX, and for OpenBSD itself.

I do think however, and not only based on two things I saw today - that the
community support in some cases, specifically from some devs - needs some
work if this is ever to be realized.  (I am referring to my issue, which I
do admit to some fault in, and another users email I saw fly by, asking a
simple question on if Cool'n'Quiet was supported - only to be told, upon
asking if it was being considered for inclusion - to write the code himself)

And of course, if you read the archives, many other instances.

So to that.. I have a few statements:

- If bug reporting is such a headache - write a bug handling system. I will
  even write it for you. There are many distro's with one, and it saves the
  devs problems with reports, and the users frustration at not sending them
  correctly - and the bitching from the list that goes with it. E-mailed bug
  reports is behind the times.

- In general, I think some changes to the list rules, or the bug reporting, or
  whatever is required - and I'm not the one to say what is - I haven't been
  around here more then a year - would go a long way towards not scaring off
  new users, who may turn out to be valuable resources later. Communities are
  after all, the life blood of Open Source software.

- I would put forward, as a suggestion - it is far better to ignore someone's
  question, if you can't bring yourself to type a couple polite lines, then
  to snarl back at them. People make mistakes (IE me), and may ask questions
  others already have - but let us remember - not everyone has been here 10
  years, and may not read the archives to realize the question they ask has
  been asked 100 times (Just last week :)

That is my simple 2 cents - love me, hate me, whatever.
-D.