Hello,
I have some very basic questions about the above topic.

First, I read from various sources that backticks (`command`) are basically
deprecated, with $(command) the preferred option (I may be a little loose with
this definition). man ksh even alludes to this:

<snip>  ``' introduces an old-style command substitution <snip>

Is there ANY differnece between the behavior of these, or is it just that the
newer style is preferred for readability?

Second, again in man ksh, I read:

Note that $(< foo) has the same effect as $(cat foo), but it is carried out
more efficiently because no process is started.

When googling for similar examples, I always see the 'cat foo' example used. So
is this form simply a shorthand for 'cat somefile', and not any other command
(for example an awk or sed command)?

I view myself as a guest caveman among the rest of you who probably know this
stuff as second nature, and am always grateful for your replies (even when I
get yelled at).

Thanks!

-Scott