On 26 April 2012 17:56, Otto Moerbeek <o...@drijf.net> wrote:

> In an ideal world, availability of source code should not matter.
>
> Most interesting exploits are probably guest1 -> hypervisor (and then
> -> guest2).
>
> I refuse to believe that the glued on hardware suppport for
> virtulization on modern i386/amd64 processors have a real value wrt
> security. This kind of thing can only be done right if it's done from
> the start when designing the processor architecture.

Yes that's what I'm nervous about.  Guest->Guest and
Guest->Hypervisor(->Guest).  Especially after Tavis Ormandy's paper
from a while back...

http://taviso.decsystem.org/virtsec.pdf

And now, we have things like Vasto and vulnerabilities that have
enabled the download of VM's to "steal the cloud".

Shane