I wasn't receiving email, from lists.openbsd.org and also from my
work email address, until I added the respective smtp servers to
the whitelist table in pf.

I could see them in the greylist when I typed spamdb.

Yes. I did misunderstand the spamd log entry about deletion.

Though I would not bother playing with settings if the expected
emails were being received.

I will go ahead and flush the spamdb database, and the pf tables
and start over with default everything, no whitelist pf entries.

This time I will sit on my hands and wait.  Maybe I was not
being patient enough.

When you say I misconfigured my setup, what do you mean?
What else is there to spamd other than adding it to rc.conf.local
and a few pf rules?

As for gmail;
I have not had this issue sending email from gmail to spamd.

Seriously though, if I have to keep manually adding smtp servers
to a whitelist, I will run in blacklist only mode.