On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 16:29, Marc Espie wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 01:20:32PM +0100, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
>> James Griffin <jmz.grif...@kode5.net> writes:
>>
>> > I have the latest snapshot amd64 arc. I would like to change to the
> i386 platform.
>>
>> That will be a complete reinstall.
>>
>> > I think if I delete/remove all packages then boot into the i386 bsd.rd
>> > and install all the i386 binaries, etc. and then reinstall all my
>> > packages this will be ok and will mean I don't have to reinstall from
>> > scratch using a cd iso image?
>> >
>> > Is this ok to do? Will it cause problems?
>>
>> Preserving pkg_info output will likely serve as a useful to do list for
>> reinstalling the packages. I tend to do that myself when for one reason
>> or the other I want to do a complete reinstall with a mind to rebuild
>> the system much like before.
>
> You mostly no longer need to preserve that all that much, as you have
> everything as syslog entries these days...

Unfortunately, if you still have access to the old /var/log after the
reinstall, it means you probably tried to do something like an upgrade
to preserve the filesystems, which means you also probably have left
over bits.

IIRC the only way to preserve an existing filesystem doing a new
install is to leave it out of the disklabel (or omit the mount point)
and add it back later, which is unlikely to be what anybody would want.