On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Ted Unangst <t...@tedunangst.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 16:29, Marc Espie wrote:

>> i386 platform.
>>>
>>> That will be a complete reinstall.

>>> Preserving pkg_info output will likely serve as a useful to do list for
>>> reinstalling the packages. I tend to do that myself when for one reason
>>> or the other I want to do a complete reinstall with a mind to rebuild
>>> the system much like before.
>>
>> You mostly no longer need to preserve that all that much, as you have
>> everything as syslog entries these days...
>
> Unfortunately, if you still have access to the old /var/log after the
> reinstall, it means you probably tried to do something like an upgrade
> to preserve the filesystems, which means you also probably have left
> over bits.
>
> IIRC the only way to preserve an existing filesystem doing a new
> install is to leave it out of the disklabel (or omit the mount point)
> and add it back later, which is unlikely to be what anybody would want.

That's something something I depend on on every upgrade, which for me
is a complete new install and preserving some of the partitions by
leaving them without a mount point, then after installation re-adding
them to fstab. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person doing or
depending on this :)

--patrick