Monah Baki wrote:
Hi all,

I'm installing mysql from source. I know this is an error that has been posted
several times:

# /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -V
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql: can't load library
'../libmysql/.libs/libmysqlclient.so.15.0'

# cd /usr/local/mysql/bin
# ./mysql -V
# ./mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.16, for unknown-openbsd3.8 (i386) using EditLine wrapper

If I vi the mysql file in /usr/local/mysql/bin:

....SNIP.....
@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/libmysql/.libs/[EMAIL PROTECTED]@mysql_field_count

Does this mean libmysqlclient.so.15.0 is hardcoded and won't work unless
you're in the /usr/local/mysql/bin directory. It works fine as long as long as you start the commands in the
/usr/local/mysql/bin directory, if you change directory then you get the error.

Thank you

I went ahead and did the same (installed 5.0.16 from source) and had similar results, with the exception that even within the mysql/bin directory I still receive that same error.

The daemon, however, runs well.

I have had good luck, however, with the 5.0.16 build available at mysql.com. It is labeled for OpenBSD 3.7, but runs well on my 3.8 box without modification. Just a thought.

Good luck,

Joe