Imagine a legacy automobile where the break pedal accelerates if the
car is in neutral, and where the user guide says that's exactly what
it does.

Some people might favour changing those mechanics -- and the user guide too.

Granted, what's "correct" is somewhat a matter of opinion and semantics.

To repeat my earlier QUESTION:
Is there anyone here who in any way depends on or likes the
ESC-equals-return behaviour?

Personally, I'd prefer an OpenBSD stock vi without a conditionally
accelerating break pedal -- but I'm also strongly in favour of
preserving the original behaviour in the traditional-vi port
<http://ports.su/editors/traditional-vi>, which would remain available
regardless of what, if anything, is done to OpenBSD's stock vi or
(upstream?) nvi.