On 1/19/21 4:35 PM, Adam Thompson wrote:
[Replying directly as well, as I believe my MTA is still blacklisted by
the OpenBSD mail server. Guess we'll find out! -Adam]

On 2021-01-17 20:09, Tilo Stritzky wrote:
On 14/01/21 17:38  Andrew Grillet wrote:
Hi

I am running OpenBSD on a T2000 (Sparc64).
I was trying to use the serial port from the primary domain, connected via
ssh, and my network lost the connection.
My tty00 is now locked:
jay# stty -f /dev/tty00
stty: /dev/tty00: Device busy
I do not want to reboot the primary, as the guests are running various live
services. I cannot find evidence of a lock file in /dev/spool/lock.
Is there a way out of this predicament?

fstat(1) is your friend here.
Note that each tty has a corresponding cua device, they're both under the
same lock.

tilo

I ran into this exact problem last year.  It'll be in the list archives.
According to Theo (if I understood him correctly) it's partly due to the
way BSD serial ports have always worked, i.e. in a rather
under-specified manner.
Apparently the core tty(4) code around this particular symptom hasn't
really changed at all since OpenBSD forked.

My solution was to install Linux, sorry - I never did find a way around
the problem on OpenBSD.

I'm curious what you think "this exact problem" is.  The OP replied to
me (off list) with what the problem was, and I am 99% certain that Linux
would behave the exact same way -- and if it didn't, it would be a bug
in Linux.  Hint: the error message was dead-on accurate.  The port was
busy!

I'm not going to say serial support in OpenBSD is perfect, but it works
Darned Well, and better for me than any other OS I've used.  I've used
and have in production things ranging from 8 port USB connected devices,
single port USB serial interfaces, 20 year old ISA BOCA card and of
course, native on-board serial devices.  The USB devices sometimes need
me to reboot the machine the USB port is attached to, but otherwise, Just
Works.  OpenBSD makes an excellent terminal server (and all the tools are
in base, which really makes it simple -- well, except the boca(4), as it
requires a custom kernel).

Nick.