On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 02:10:56PM +0200, Remco wrote:
> I was looking at the Alesis iO|2 USB audio interface. It seems like a nice
> device, especially since it appears to comply to both the USB-audio as well
> as the USB-MIDI standard, see:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/
> questions/linux-hardware-18/2-soundcards-alesis-io|2-and-nvidia-ck804-512025/
>
> However, it appears to limit audio to 24-bits @ 44.1/48kHz.
>
> To my understanding, applications accessing this device through libsndio will
> use its native resolution. For applications requiring 16-bit audio I could
> run
> an aucat server on top of this device.
>
> According to BUGS in aucat(1), aucat uses 16-bit processing. Does that mean
> that aucat will always record/playback only the 16 most significant bits for
> resolutions > 16 bit (always limiting the dynamic range) ?
>
> Apart from limiting the dynamic range, I was wondering if a pure 24-bit
> device
> could potentially be troublesome in any way. e.g. will running an aucat
> server in 16-bit mode add any kind of additional distortion or noise, or can
> i expect it to behave as a device doing 16-bits @ 44.1/48kHz ?
> Will applications work without issues ?

I believe mplayer should work at 24 bits with a 24-bit uaudio.
I don't recall if I tried that or not.

yes, not many applications support 24-bit audio, so you'll need
aucat for "general use".  works fine for me.  note: if you have
an azalia you might be able to make it use 24-bit in the hardware
to get an idea.

there may be some applications/libraries that could support 24-bit
but don't.  perhaps there are some ports that could support 24-bit
formats but don't.  gstreamer comes to mind.  24-bit support wasn't
really a priority when I did the sndio backends.  until a few weeks
ago 24-bit support assumed a 4-byte sample size ...

--
jake...@sdf.lonestar.org