Alexander Polakov wrote on Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 06:52:24PM +0400:

> I made a patch for ls based on NetBSD (see below), works just fine for me.

Ugh.
I hate that.

Well, i partly see a point in providing such functions in libraries,
because libraries are used for compiling all sorts of software,
including typesetting software etc. etc.

But do we really want to uproot the tree in src/bin in this respect?
I value correctness by simplicity, and this code looks nightmarish.
More than 20 lines of code basically for counting up the length
of a word, involving five calls to two different library functions,
not counting memset.

Yes, it is possible to put all kinds of bytes into filenames.
But that doesn't mean it is a smart idea, and i'm not sure
it should be actively encouraged.

And even if you happen to think there is nothing wrong with
filenames that cannot be displayed everywhere, or with filenames
that look identical but are actually different, or with filenames
that some software may handle poorly, I consider the price we have
to pay for this feature rather high.