I'm new here, hello!

CC Andrew Fresh.

First, I will apologise in advance for being slightly vague. There is a
bug in my mail server setup, but I am not really sure where.

Some mails I receive are being cut in two by either: opensmtpd, fdm or
spamassassn. I have opensmtpd running on an OpenBSD-5.8 machine. fdm
(invoked from cron) picks up mail from /var/mail/edd (an mbox) and
passes it to spamassassin for spam calssification (X- headers are
appended). Then fdm puts the mails into maildirs in my $HOME where I
dovecot then picks them up.

When the bug triggers, messages are split in two, and the second half is
delivered without headers. Spamassassin classifies each of the two
halves as though they are separate messages.

The situation is annoying to debug because I don't know which top-half
corresponds to which bottom-half. I've devised a strategy however. I
notice than many emails from massdrop.com get split; I've signed up a
second time under my gmail address. I'm hoping I will be able to get a
complete message (from gmail) *and* the split parts (from the problem
server) and figure out what's going wrong.

There's obviously a load of things I can try. The purpose of this mail
is to try and narrow scope by asking:

 * Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?

 * Does anyone have any ideas?

My working hypotheses are:

 * Maybe there's a race in reading the /var/mail/edd mbox. (Should I
   even have fdm reading a mbox while smtpd maybe is writing
   to it?)

 * Maybe something is not parsing the end of a mbox message properly.
   Andrew Fresh send me a *full* massdrop mail (albeit personalised to
   him), and I notice there are lots of lines beginning with 'From' in
   the body of the mail. Perhaps a bug here? See mbox(5) on quoting
   From).

I've already tried mailing Andrew's example through the setup and
annoyingly it wasn't split.

Cheers

--
Best Regards