On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 18:45 -0500, Stas Bekman wrote:
> that approach is not very practical if change your code base constantly.
> Since you will have to retune things every time you change your code.

I know, it's terrible, but it's all I've come up with so far.  Maybe we
need to rethink how the size-limiting modules work so that they can use
something like the total amount of free physical RAM instead.  I think
that's sort of what you were thinking of too.

> I'd rather see the kernel providing a new feature which tells us the exact
> amount of memory used by a group of forked processes (swapped in and out).

Me too, but I'm not holding my breath.  We can find out how much total
memory is free though, at least on Linux.

- Perrin