Jörg Rosenkranz wrote:
Nachricht

What happens if you start your service by hand and not using the start script?

Do you have any messages in /var/log/messages?

Joerg.

Here's a hint (from /var/log/messages):

Nov  3 19:00:58 linux su: (to root) peter on /dev/pts/1
Nov  3 19:01:07 linux mono: RemoteSumsService.exe: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Nov  3 19:01:07 linux mono: RemoteSumsService.exe: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Nov  3 19:01:07 linux mono: RemoteSumsService.exe: Configuration file '/home/peter/MonoRemotingTest/RemoteSumsService/bin/Release/RemoteSumsService.exe.config' could not be loaded: Error in element customErrors: Invalid custom error mode: Off

We've been through this before.  Windows insists that the value of the mode attribute in <customErrors> is "Off" with a capital "O".  Robert did something to make Mono case insensitive - but it's likely that's not in my installation yet.

Anyway, I changed the value to "off" and everything worked beautifully.

My sincere apologies for not doing the obvious thing and looking in /var/log/messages before now.  Put it down to my advancing years.  As we say over here, "Henaint ni ddaw ei hun" (Old age doesn't come on its own).

Now, would anyone please be good enough to explain to me how I can get this to start up when I boot the machine so that the daemon will run without the need for anyone to log in?  Or point me at the documentation where I can work it out for myself, of course.

Many thanks.

Peter