Claude Litton

From: Craig Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I didn't bring up the concept of "fair".  The original poster talked about how
only timed auctions were fair.  If you've got a beef with the general
concept of applying "fair" to this discussion", take it up with them.

I assume -- and since Bruce said the only major change from eBay is how
the auctions end, I think this is correct -- you still post a maximum amount.
So you don't have to be there at the end.  If you post your maximum, and
it's more than the other person/people's, then you get it.  As with eBay, the
computer bids for you up to the amount it needs to for you to win (or to tap
out if the other bidders have higher bids).  But you also have the option of
being on line, seeing how the bidding is going, and bidding higher, if you
choose to.

That seems fair to me.

Sniping, on the other hand -- no matter how many people use it and like the
fact that it allows them to win -- seems inherently unfair, because its whole
design and intent is to sneak in bids in the last micro-seconds, to prevent
anyone else from getting in.

Everyone has different opinions.  This is mine.

Craig.