    *From:* James Richard <mailto:jrl...@mediabearonline.com>
    *To:* Sean Linkenback <mailto:slinkenb...@comcast.net>
    *Cc:* MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
    <mailto:MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
    *Sent:* Monday, September 07, 2009 4:44 AM
    *Subject:* Re: [MOPO] Bruce's latest information on the fakes

    Sean,

    In theory, both you and Bruce are right. From a purely moral and
    ethical standpoint the "unknowing middlemen" should have to
    reimburse their customers. But what about practical matters? How
    many of those "middlemen" have $20,000 or $30,000 or more free
    cash laying around that they can hand over in reparations? Not
    many, would be my guess, particularly in the current economic
    situation. These people may want to refund the money, but they
    simply may not be able to.

    Also consider what their situation is if they were truly innocent
    "middlemen"... like someone selling on consignment. They may have
    been given $20,000 for the fake, but they only made a 10% or 20%
    commission on the deal... maybe $2,000 to $4,000 bucks. They
    passed the bulk of the $20,000 on to whomever they got the poster
    from in the first place. Since they didn't get to keep the whole
    $20,000 in the first place, why should they have to cough up the
    whole $20,000 to pay back the last buyer in the chain?

    And then there's the daisy chain effect. How many times did a
    particular fake change hands among innocent buyers and sellers
    before the highly-skilled fraud was detected? Maybe for some of
    these fakes there is a long change of multiple sales and trades
    involving many people who got, exchanged and spent money generated
    from the sale of the fake and none of them knew it was fake (and
    most of whom do not have the money to repay... and who do they
    repay it to, anyway? That's where the courts come in -- they have
    to figure out who owes what to whom and how much guilt or
    innocence each link in the chain contained).

    In other words, it's a royal mess. And chances are very little
    will ever be recovered or repaid on most of these fakes. Those who
    bought them from a well-heeled auction house like Heritage who
    could afford to refund the money (and who probably had an
    insurance company helping them out on that) are the lucky ones.
    Many of the others will ever get much if any of their money back,
    regardless of the outcome of court cases.

    The scary thing is that, in many of the court cases, there may be
    legal decisions which don't favor the buyers at all. After all,
    except for a couple of upscale dealers/auctioneers, these posters
    were sold "as is". They did not come with a guarantee of anything
    and legally most of the sellers are probably not libel according
    to the letter of the law.

    This is why the whole fake thing has to be stopped now, or at
    least serious efforts made to reign it in. The fakes have already
    done tremendous damage and we probably haven't seen the end of
    most of the chains of destruction yet. Sellers of high-end posters
    are simply going to have to bite the bullet, get with a couple of
    the recognized experts in the field (we all know who they are) and
    arrange a viable "opinion of authenticity" process which they can
    use in the future to reasonably safely sell the very expensive
    type of posters in future.

    Anyone who thinks this hobby-industry can go back to doing
    business with the very expensive items the way it was done in the
    past with the same kind of "of course it's authentic" attitude is
    kidding themselves. Clearly the mere reputation of the seller
    isn't going to be enough anymore.

    -- JR

    Sean Linkenback wrote:
    Hi Bruce,
    someone just pointed out your latest club email to me and I read
    one passage with a lot of interest:
    "It seems that some of those who unknowingly sold some of these
    as middlemen are taking the odd position that they have no
    liability in this, and that they want the people they unknowingly
    cheated to join them in lawsuits against those they obtained the
    fakes from, and that they won't be refunding those they
    unknowingly cheated."

    Do you have any actual firsthand knowledge of this happening?  If
    so, isn't this one of the things that should be "outed" so that
    people can know do stay away from any middlemen who deny
    responsibility/liability.  You talked before about how
    disappointed you were that people might be withholding this sort
    of information, are you now doing the same?

    And if anyone who is interested in this subject hasn't read
    Bruce's new club message, I encourage you to do so, as it
    contains a nice summary of many of the events.