Did  Greg give any indication of what the number might look like if it were
a  re-release? Would Stafford & Co issue a new one (or blank it out)? I
hate to  differ from Greg, as he obviously has  a load of experience in this
area. I bought some of my first posters from  him all those years ago, and he
has virtually god-like status in my eyes, but  the more I look into this,
the more I’m sure it’s a re-release. With him not  being on the forum, it’s
difficult to know whether he’s studied this in any  detail or is just trying
to help out with guidelines.
To  show how relentlessly objective I’m trying to be, I do actually have
one of  these posters in my personal collection. It came from Christies in
1997 back in  the days when I had a proper job, money … and life outside the
house! It may not  end up being in my own best interests, but I’d prefer to
nail down the true  history behind it. It’s a great poster for a great film
regardless of release  date and I can’t see myself ever parting with it. OK
that’s the sanctimonious  bit out of the way and here’s the poster:
http://s811.photobucket.com/user/movieposterstudio/media/ThirdManGB1.jpg.htm
l?sort=3&o=0
(I’ve  added Clanger toy propping up business card so you know I’m not
bluffing and didn’t just lift a random image from somewhere else!)
I  was originally hoping this topic would be resolved long ago without
having to  wheel the poster out and extract it from its frame, but here we go.
In the cause  of pseudo-science, I’ve compared it to other British one sheets
from the period.  Unusually, I found that the three I own from 1950 or
before (End of  River/Elusive Pimpernel/Gone To Earth), all printed by
Stafford,
 all have rough fronts and smooth backs. I also have a Tales Of Hoffmann
from  1951, which appears to have a rough front too, but is linenbacked so I
can’t be  sure it’s not due to the backing process. Can you tell I’m a
Powell &  Pressburger fan? The Third Man on the other hand has a smooth front
and
rough  back, as do two later Staffords from 1956 (Green Man/Three Men In A
Boat).
Five  other British one sheets dating from 1952 to 1957 printed by WE Berry
 all have a smooth front and rough back.
Make  of that what you will. It’s not going to be definitive, since I’ll
never have a  full run of Stafford  one sheets and it might be a coincidence
down to different printer plants etc.  By contrast all the Stafford  quads I
have over the entire period in question all have a smooth front and  rough
back.
As  you know, the real sticking point for me is Lion International
apparently  replacing the London  logo. The evidence seems overwhelming, at
least to
me:
1.  A company called Lion International was formed in 1955.
2.  I can’t find a single contemporary reference to a company with the name
Lion  International BEFORE 1955 on posters, pressbooks, trade advertising,
film  archives, or searches. Only London  Films International. And I’ve
LOOKED. (BTW a large number of emovie’s UK  pressbooks seem to be
export/international ones.)
3.  Lion International only seems to appear on posters after 1955.
4.  The Third Man was distributed in Australia  by London Films
International, according to David’s 1950 Sydney Morning Herald  clipping.
5.  The Kinematograph UK  trade yearbook for 1950 lists a director for
London Films International. Nothing  for Lion International.
6.  The London  logo appears on all British One Sheets I can find for
London  productions (I think as international distributor rather than producer,
as they  also distributed other companies' productions). Except our
mysterious Third Man  one.
7.  My brain hurts.
Anyway,  this is my opinion. This subject has been very lively and has
probably  distracted attention away from things like Morris Everett’s auction –
an  absolute must-see with some unbelievable items - so I’ll leave it
there.
I  have to say David that the way you’ve handled this matter has been
exemplary and  very good-natured, and I hope you don’t feel like a battered
ping
pong ball by  now!
Almost  forgot – DOES ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE A CRITERION 2-DISC THIRD MAN
DVD OR  BLU-RAY? If so, one of the extras is apparently a slideshow of the
original UK  pressbook. If it’s an export/international pressbook similar to
this http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=9865400
(spot the odd poster out) or a combined one, it might just provide a
conclusive  answer. Unless it’s a re-release pressbook of course… (;
Paul
_www.movieposterstudio.com_ (http://www.movieposterstudio.com/)

In a message dated 25/06/2015 11:45:09 GMT Daylight Time, da...@bidll.com