Martha -

The switch is made at level 18 for the text to be read silently
first, then the retelling for comprehension assessment, and then read a few
pages out loud.

What we were finding was that students who had the
opportunity to read out loud before the retelling, actually
had better comprehension than those who retold only after silent reading.

 We are just about to launch into DRA2 (having never had the first version as
'district wide') so I was curious about your comment, Martha, regarding the
retellings after oral reading indicating stronger comp. than retellings after
silent reading.

On the new DRA2, for levels 4-16, students begin with reading the entire text
orally, after which they provide a retelling with the book closed.? At levels
18-24, the students also begin with reading orally, but only the first portion
of the text.? The student then makes a prediction (orally) and finishes reading
the text silently.? Once the silent reading is done, the student provides an
oral retelling, again with the book closed, and again prompted? with "Start at
the beginning and tell me what happened in this story."? So in both cases,
retellings are done after oral reading of all or a portion of the text.

I guess what I'm wondering is, because the initial reading of the text is done
orally, will this make a difference in the retelling/comp. portion of the
assessment.

It will be interesting to hear from folks who have been using the DRA2.

Just wondering....

(another!) Martha