From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:08 PM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] research question

If I remember correctly....
It is true that Marilyn Adams says that proficient readers read every  letter
but she also states that proficient readers read familiar letter pattern
chunks and with speed faster than the ear can associate the sound.... that  is
why in her book she makes her case with a rendition of Little Red Riding
Hood... it is very difficult text to decode... not because it deviates with
phonetic/symbol-sound associations but it uses unexpected visual  patterns.....
and
so a proficient reader has difficulty decoding it... the  visual patterns are
not familiar or expected.

Also in the four blocks part of working with words.... Cunningham  suggests
that one of the strategies to use when decoding unfamiliar words is to  say
every letter... sometimes kids will pick up on a chunk by the letters
associated
with that sound when said aloud.

In a message dated 11/25/2008 10:12:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,