Once again heard a saw-whet at Reservoir Woods in Roseville - last time was
on March 4th, with two other unsuccessful attempts to hear one since then.
(Birding after dark is very addictive!)

So, can someone tell me more about saw-whets in the metro area?  According
to the bba handbook, they are considered a migratory owl - and single
observations are not necessarily a sign of them setting up shop - what might
it mean that I'm hearing a saw-whet in the same place within a space of a
couple of weeks?

Tonight heard it just as darkness fell from the .3 mile  marker (measured
from the Larpenteur entrance) at the intersection of the main paved path and
the path that goes along the pond. The tooting first came from the stand of
trees south and west of that spot, and then after I returned to the spot a
little later, I heard it coming from the stand of trees across from the
pond, first nearby, and then farther away.

Earlier this week in stand of trees across from the pond I heard some
screeching that I couldn't identify - also right around dark. I haven't
heard GHOs this year, but have often in previous years, and a fellow I ran
into said that they were hooting a lot the previous couple months.  Could
the screeching be GHO owlets?

Happy birding,
Karen Kraco
Minneapolis, MN