Hey all-

Waterfowl are more abundant at Old Cedar Avenue lately. Yesterday from the
viewing platform I found an apparent Blufflehead X Common Goldeneye. I took
really bad digiscoped photos for confirmation. Googling for this cross
should provide images that are consistent with the bird at the Refuge if
anyone is looking for it. It's about bufflehead sized, much smaller than a
goldeneye, white flanks and back black when swimming. However instead of a
buffle it has a white cheek patch that extends down through the cheek and
connects with the white neck. The nape itself is dark (unlike a
bufflehead). Interesting looking bird, and it was hanging out with
Bufflehead.

Other than that very quiet for passerines. Lots of L. Scaup, Ring-necked
Duck and a handful of other expected species.

Jesse Ellis
Saint Paul, MN

--
Jesse Ellis, Ph. D.