From: Minnesota Birds <MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU> on behalf of Alex Sundvall
<asgreenplanet4...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2016 7:37 AM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Black Swan on Lake Harriet, Hennepin Co.

This bird has been around since April, as it is highly unlikely that there
have been two Black Swans to go missing in one year. The bird was at Old
Cedar Ave Bridge for most of that time, and was there until a couple of
months ago. At some point it left, and showed up at Lake Harriet. Barring
either walking there or someone capturing ti and transporting it there, the
bird likely flew there. They are nonmigratory birds in Australia, and
considering this is a captive individual, it doesn't really know of any
place to fly to, hence the bird hasn't moved off the ice. I was under the
impression that it couldn't fly, which is why it was at Old Cedar for all
spring, summer, and fall. The WRC only takes natives, and certainly doesn't
take pets. This was likely a bird in a private collection, as no reports of
a missing swan have been put out, so the chances of recapture, or wanting
it back are slim. They are sold and bred in the states (primarily Florida).
When I viewed the bird yesterday afternoon, it had visible ice on its
feathers, was out of the water sitting on the ice, and was not feeding.
Best,
Alex

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 12:35 AM, Elizabeth Javinsky <beth...@juno.com>
wrote:

> So there are some conflicting reports and it is not clear if this swan can
> fly or not.  Has anyone seen it flying in the last 24 hours? Also, if the
> swan is not injured and can fly, why would it be hanging out in these cold
> temperatures? I do know a couple people who deal in animal rescue that
> would probably help if someone can definitively confirm if this one needs
> help.  I would hate to see it freeze to death or get stuck in mostly iced
> over water.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Beth
>
> > On Dec 15, 2016, at 10:06 PM, Tami Vogel <tvo...@wrcmn.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone -
> >
> > We only accept wild animals. I suspect this swan was released or escaped
> someone's property.
> >
> > I'd recommend people check community forums and Facebook pages in the
> event someone is in fact looking for it. Start with the area it was
> initially seen. You may also want to check Craigslist.
> >
> > Hopefully the owner is located and if not a good new home can be found.
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > Tami Vogel
> > Communications Director
> > Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota
> > www.wrcmn.org<http://www.wrcmn.org>
[http://www.wrcmn.org/images/2mallsmirror270.jpg]<http://www.wrcmn.org/>

The Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota :: WRCMN<http://www.wrcmn.org/>
www.wrcmn.org
The Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota provides quality medical care
and rehabilitation for all injured, sick and orphaned wild animals, and shares
its knowledge