I was surprised and delighted to find my second MN Mockingbird of the year,
this one way up in Koochiching County. This was three days ago (June 13th)
while on a mini-vacation with my wife.  It was located on Pine Island Road
(which starts as County Road 40/Konig Rd. in the town of Waskish a few
miles west, which happens to be in Beltrami County). Specifically, it was
about a mile in from the county line, just west of where the road bends
north.

The Mockingbird was on the north side of the road atop some willows, if I
recall (or other small trees/brush...I wasn't paying as much attention to
the plants at the time!).  From a distance, I first thought it may be a
cuckoo (it was a slender-looking bird with a longish tail, plus there was a
Black-Billed Cuckoo nearby as well), but as we approached closer, the bird
took off, revealing its paler, light gray coloration and its large white
wing patches. Even my wife, who would not call herself a birder (but has
become one by association), commented on the wings and tail being unusual.
Always good to have another witness to make sure you weren't seeing things!

I have (rarely) seen Shrikes in June in northwest/north central MN, but
this bird was a bit longer, trimmer-looking, and most importantly had no
bold black on its wings or "mask" on its face.

Kyle Te Poel
Stillwater Township, MN