Oh, I forgot about that.

Alright, so I've just confused myself. Forget what I said.

So we should use mpir.h and mpirxx.h and provide scripts which yield a
gmp.h and gmpxx.h for the user if they so desire. In the case of
Windows I presume it is possible to do this by just renaming the files
or making copies with the alternate name. In linux we can choose to
either rename or provide symlinks.

Is there a performance hit from using symlinks anyone?

Bill.