Dear developers,
                            I implemented a GMP-mpz version of Toom-8
algorithm
for multiplication. On my architecture I obtained someway interesting
results with comparison to GMP 4.3.0. You can find two graphics,
for multiplication and squaring, at

http://bodrato.it/papers/zanoni.html#SYNASC2009

(under "Toom-8 way for long integers multiplication" - thanks Marco !)

As I'm waiting for the publication of the proceedings of the SYNASC
2009
conference, where the related paper was presented, currently I cannot
put the
paper itself, with all the details, on the web, but actually Marco is
working
quite ahead of it, and will surely produce something better at mpn
level,
with many new ideas, so I think that the paper is actually already
obsolete.

Just to point out that Toom-Cook-k methods with k as high as 8 (may be
even
more ?) can be effective and worth implementing.

Alberto