One function I am not personally interested in is the new side-channel
attack resistant function. A general purpose library like MPIR seems
to be the wrong place for something like that. It would also give the
impression that somehow MPIR is supposed to be used for secure
purposes, which it most definitely is not. It's designed for
performance.

Who knows, perhaps GMP is planning on much more of this sort of thing.
If there was a massive outcry and lots of people actually wanted this
sort of thing in MPIR too, well I'd consider it. But I personally am
not interested in that. I'd prefer to put our time into parallel stuff
(if we can find the volunteers to work on it).

What do people think?

The rest of the functionality looks straightforward enough, or we
already have it. The biggest challenge for us is actually
asymptotically fast division. But I just don't want to do this twice,
and we really need very solid FFT code first, which is why I worked
around the clock on that for a few weeks to get it out of the way over
Christmas.

Bill.