2010/1/11 Gianrico Fini <gianrico.f...@gmail.com>:
> On 11 Gen, 03:14, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Ha ha, very funny cheater. Your function is only faster for full limbs!!
>
> Well, Fermat numbers with k>=5 use full limbs!

Yes, true. But that just illustrates that this particular test is not
a good one for showing off our function, which does not just work with
full limbs.

>> What do you think the other hundred or so lines of mpn/generic/mulmod_2expp1
>> do?
>
> I do not know, I did not read the function, nor I know what it is
> supposed to do: it is not documented.
>
> The benchmark should shows how a library is with an application, I
> optimised the application.
>
>> Everyone notice what a silly cheater gian is. Ha ha ha ha!!!
>
> Why? Is there something undocumented or unfair? Please explain. I
> explained.
>
> If I wanted to cheat I would have used some internal functions; e.g.
> mpn_fft_mul. I didn't.
>
>> More seriously, what do you think you have just proved?
>
> That the right 10 lines could do a fair application, instead of an
> application written with an as slow as possible substitute for an
> internal function.

It is not a substitute for our internal function, as far as I know. It
only works for full limbs.

> fermat_prime_p.c is not a possible application using the library, it's
> an application written in such a way that it is fast only with a
> specified version of the library.
>
> Tell someone to write a simple function performing Peppin's test,
> using mpn_mulmod_2expp1 only if available. Will he write something
> like my patch or something like the mess using mpz?

No, I agree with that. For Peppin's test our function is not needed.

>> The powm idea was ok. But this is rubbish.
>
> Why? Please explain.
>
>> Why don't you put your creative energy to good use and write some
>> decent code. The actual mpn_mulmod_2expp1 function in MPIR is a sad
>> joke.
>
> We finally agree! That function is a joke!

I'm talking about the real mpn_mulmod_2expp1 function in mpn/generic,
not the stupid alternative in the benchmark.