2010/1/11 Gianrico Fini <gianrico.f...@gmail.com>:
> Pardon?
>
>> Because it is not possible to come up with an efficient replacement
>> for mpn_mulmod_2expp1 using powm. The object of the benchmark was to
>> show what is possible using a new mpn function we had added and which
>> (at the time) was not available in GMP.
>
> I do really not follow you... let me ask another question:
> What is fermat_prime_p.c? An application implementing Pepin's Test, or
> a speed test for an internal function?

The latter.

> If the first is correct, well powm is an almost natural way to
> implement Peppin's test, isn't it?

Yes, which I explained, is not what we were trying to do.

> Il the answer is the second... well, calling it "application
> benchmark" is nothing more than CHEATING.

Whatever. Do you have a better example of a program that tests the
speed of mpn_mulmod_2expp1 and doesn't rely on using full limbs?

You poke and you poke, but you seem awfully short on actual solutions!

You lie about what someone's benchmarks showed, you say you have an
alternative for our mpn_mulmod_2expp1 function in 10 lines and it's
garbage (ours works, yours doesn't, except in very limited cases) and
yet you continue the argument....

Actually GMP 5 doesn't have this function after all. So what are you
gonna do now? You'll have to implement it yourself. That's exactly the
whole point isn't it. It's gonna take you hours, maybe even days, to
do it correctly! Or, you could just use MPIR, which just happens to
have it already.