Take as much time as you like. I think I would be quite impressed if
it really works for all inputs and is relatively fast. I am not sure I
could do it properly in 10 lines (unless they were exceptionally long
lines). You have to do a bit shift and subtract, then deal with the
carries. Then there are quite a few special cases you have to handle.
You then have to return the correct "carry".

Regarding what I will do. Well, if you agree to having the patch
included, we could include it in our benchmark. You only need to make
it GPL 2+ and we can use it instead of the dumb function we have. I
still think we should print a warning though....

It can be a good standard to test if we have *really* sped up this
function in future. To do this *really* fast, will take us a *lot*
more than 10 lines. It's an important function, because it will be
used in our new FFT code, for example.

By the way, I am sure you know I am not being serious in what I wrote
below. I only wrote that to show you how easy it is to call someone a
cheater. Basically I am saying, "talk is cheap, show me the code".

Bill.