On Aug 14, 7:07 pm, Jason <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 14 August 2010 18:39:50 Cactus wrote:
>
> Is there much difference between x86w and x86 , they use the same ABI , I
> wonder , we could put this into the pre-distro step , it would save
> maintainance , and the code base would be notionally smaller

I suspect they are significantly different.  The x86w files are not
derived in any direct sense from those in x86 but come from my
original GMP port many years ago.  Most are, I think, translations of
now very old GMP gas assembler code to Intel format for YASM but I
recall doing some original coding and finding and correcting errors in
the GMP assembler.

Probably the biggest difference is that the x86w files do not use m4,
which is not a Windows tool so I hand edited all this crap out (I
REALLY hate m4, which is just about the worst macro processor I have
ever encountered).

It might not be too hard to use the m4 ouputs from the x86 files in
Visual Studio. But invoking m4 as part of the Visual Studio build
would be problematic as m4 is not normally available on Windows (I am
in no hurry to change this :-)