On Aug 19, 9:50 am, degski <deg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cactus:
>
> > I've updated the Visual Studio 2010 builds to account for these
> > changes and tested the nehalem library build.  I have not tested
> > the other builds but I would be surprised if they didn't work.
>
> > I have also updated the Visual Studio 2008 builds in a way that I
> > think will work but I no longer have Visual Studio 2008 installed
> > so I have not tested these at all.
>
> > If people want to continue using the Visual Studio 2008 build files,
> > we will need a volunteer to maintain them.
>
> Isn't this move to VS2010 (dropping support for VS2008 altogether, not
> exactly old, I would say) a bit premature?

Hi Degski,

In an ideal world, yes, but we don't have a volunteer to maintain them
and I don't have the time to do it.

> For the moment, for instance, the 'Intel C++ Compiler' does not "yet"
> (it's said it's coming, but when? Will it?) integrate with VS2010.
>
> Are there any real advantages?

The cost of maintaining both Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010
builds is nearly twice that of maintaining the Visual Studio 2010
build alone because the Microsoft 2008 -> 2010 project conversion
tools don't handle the MPIR  conversion without significant manual
intervention (it is a complex build with a lot of assembler code).

I am happy to provide advice for anyone who is willing to maintain the
2008 build. But it may involve quite a lot of work since some major
code simplifications are in progress.