Hi Cactus,

> The cost of maintaining both Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010
> builds is nearly twice that of maintaining the Visual Studio 2010
> build alone because the Microsoft 2008 -> 2010 project conversion
> tools don't handle the MPIR  conversion without significant manual
> intervention (it is a complex build with a lot of assembler code).

And in 2012, the problem will raise it's ugly head again! I think one
(sh)/(c)ould question whether a nmake (or one of the other build (open
source) tools Mr. Hart mentioned a while back) approach for building
MPIR on Windows platforms isn't an approach, that will be more/easier
maintainable going into the future.

I'm to a small extent (purely the Windows build stuff) involved in the
SWI-Prolog compiler project (www.swi-prolog.org). The build is also
quite intricate and is script based using nmake. The required changes
from VS2008 to VS2010 were minimal (two if I remember correctly and
they were more aesthetic than anything else).

Cheers

degski