On Aug 19, 11:15 am, degski <deg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Cactus,
>
> > The cost of maintaining both Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010
> > builds is nearly twice that of maintaining the Visual Studio 2010
> > build alone because the Microsoft 2008 -> 2010 project conversion
> > tools don't handle the MPIR  conversion without significant manual
> > intervention (it is a complex build with a lot of assembler code).
>
> And in 2012, the problem will raise it's ugly head again! I think one
> (sh)/(c)ould question whether a nmake (or one of the other build (open
> source) tools Mr. Hart mentioned a while back) approach for building
> MPIR on Windows platforms isn't an approach, that will be more/easier
> maintainable going into the future.

The real problem here is that nobody is willing to put in the effort
involved in maintaining the Visual Studio 2008 build.

I don't have any problem in maintaining the build for the current
released version of Visual Studio so if there is a 2012 version, and I
am still around, it will almost certainly be supported.

> I'm to a small extent (purely the Windows build stuff) involved in the
> SWI-Prolog compiler project (www.swi-prolog.org). The build is also
> quite intricate and is script based using nmake. The required changes
> from VS2008 to VS2010 were minimal (two if I remember correctly and
> they were more aesthetic than anything else).

Its essentially the same problem.

There is strong demand for a 'make' based MPIR build on Windows but,
again, nobody has volunteered to develop this.