Yes, there is strong demand for a 'make' based solution on Windows,
but using MSVC as the compiler.

If you would like to give it a go, I know lots of people would be very
appreciative. Jason has put in a kind of configure/make type thing for
Windows. So it is there already to some extent.

Of course for some people, maintaining the visual IDE solutions is
absolutely imperative, and Brian has been doing this for the latest
version of MSVC for a long time. So that will still be needed. It also
makes writing a 'make' based solution about 1000 times easier.

Bill.